Why Are There Spiders In My Elkton, MD Home?
December 15, 2021 - Spiders
What is something you are scared of? Many people fear spiders, which is a valid fear, especially considering that several species of these pests can bite and cause harm to humans. The question is, "Are there dangerous spiders here in Elkton?" We will answer this question today, explain why spiders invade Elkton homes, and provide some tips and tricks to help you eliminate spiders from your home and keep them at bay.
The Types Of Spiders You May Find In Your Elkton Home
Elkton is home to several types of spiders. Some live outdoors in social colonies; others occasionally find their way into area homes. The species you are most likely to find indoors or around your home’s exterior include cobweb spiders, yellow house spiders, jumping spiders, wolf spiders, and crab spiders. Most of these invasive arachnids possess venom but are not harmful to humans.
The one spider in our area you should be legitimately concerned about running into is the black widow. This larger arachnid has a black body, bulbous abdomen, and a distinct red hourglass-shaped mark on its underside. If you suspect one of these pests has bitten you, seek medical attention immediately.
Why Spiders Invade Elkton Homes
More often than not, spiders wander into homes accidentally, usually when their webs or hunting grounds become compromised, and they are forced to migrate. On occasion, ground spiders will invade interior spaces while hunting for an insect, arthropod, or another arachnid. After a spider finds its way indoors, it will then either build a web or start hunting from the ground. If the hunting is good, they will have no problem surviving for months and possibly consider making babies. Trust us when we tell you, the last thing you need is thousands of tiny spiders skittering around your living areas.
Natural Spider Prevention Tips For Your Elkton Home
Because spiders like homes with pests inside them, to prevent these arachnids, you have to also prevent their prey. Here are some great natural remedies for spiders and other pests to try inside your Elkton home:
- Thoroughly inspect your home’s exterior foundation for gaps, cracks, and other damage. Seal off these potential entry points using caulk or some liquid cement.
- Check your window and door screens and make sure they are rip-free.
- Repair damage to weatherstripping and make sure all of your exterior doors have door sweeps.
- Keep unscreened windows and doors closed when they are not in use.
- Turn off your exterior lights at night or purchase some insect-resistant lighting for your home’s exterior.
- Store all of your dry pantry items, pet food, and leftovers inside airtight containers.
- Invest in quality trash cans that have tight-fitting lids and clean them as they get dirty.
- Repair leaky pipes and fixtures and address other moisture issues inside and around your home.
- Keep your living areas as clean and tidy as you can.
The Best Control For Spiders & Their Pest Prey In Elkton
There is only one way to reliably stop spiders from creating tiny baby spiders inside your living areas, and that is to hire a professional from Abracadabra Pest Solutions. We offer comprehensive pest control options to help homeowners like you find freedom from a wide range of invasive pests in Elkton. These options include detailed inspections, advanced pest control treatments, and ongoing protection plans. Whether you think a black widow is nesting near your home or you see spiders indoors daily, we have a solution to solve your issue.
Call us today to find out more about our residential and commercial pest control plans, and schedule your Elkton home or business for a visit.