Help! I Am Struggling With Ants In Elkton, MD
May 15, 2022 - Ants
Tired of crushing ants that won’t stop crawling on your counters or over your kitchen table? You’re not the only one who has struggled with ants. Here’s what homeowners in Elkton should know about the types of ants, why they enter homes, the most effective way to get rid of them, and how to naturally prevent ants in Elkton.
The Types Of Ants That Invade Homes
For Elkton residents, you’re likely to encounter these types of ants in your home:
- Odorous house ants: As one of the most common ants to invade Elkton homes, these ants are accustomed to hunting for food in homes and emit a sweet, rotten odor when you crush them.
- Acrobat ants: Acrobat ants have heart-shaped abdomens and also balance in odd positions, which is how they’ve earned their name.
- Carpenter ants: With one node waists, carpenter ants build their nests in rotting or damaged wood and can cause significant property damage to your home.
- Pavement ants: With light brown to black coloring, pavement ants may build nests in the cracks of concrete but won’t hesitate to enter homes in search of food.
Why Ants Enter Homes
Whether you’re dealing with odorous house ants, acrobat ants, or carpenter ants, most of these critters enter homes for the same two reasons: food and water. Even carpenter ants like protein-rich foods, so it’s not unusual to spot ants around your home wherever you’re eating or preparing food.
And, like any pest, ants also need to drink. If you’ve got a leaky faucet or another source of excess moisture that they can draw from, you may find ants in the kitchen or bathroom as well.
The Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Ants
Ants may not seem like a big deal, but they can be extremely difficult to eliminate, especially if they’ve started building a colony inside your home or on your property. For this reason, the best way to combat ants in Elkton is with professional help from Abracadabra Pest Solutions.
We may not carry magic wands, but when we make the ants in your Elkton home disappear, it will feel like a magic trick. Regardless of what type of ant you have, there’s only one thing to do if you suspect ants in your home. Call us today at Abracadabra Pest Solutions to learn more about our ant control services or schedule an inspection.
Natural Ant Prevention Tips
Along with professional pest control, there are some natural ways to keep ants out of your home, including:
- Make sure you’re keeping any leftovers and other food sources in the refrigerator, closed container, or trash can with a lid.
- Use caulk, foam, or another sealant to block off cracks and crevices that ants may use as potential entrances into your home.
- Remove any rotting or damaged wood from your property, which may attract carpenter ants.
Along with the tips listed above, you’ll want to use professional pest control to combat any existing infestations.